Sunday, October 2, 2011

...And, We're Back!


Dear Daniel,

It's been three months since I last posted (strange since I thought it was more like 5 months) and I have wondered many times where I should even start at this point since so much has happened in three short months.  I'm sorry for missing this time because you grow up every day and do something new every single day.

First, you're TWO!  Well, you turned two on July 8, so you're really 2 years and almost 3 months old.  Once again, friends would say how "much better it gets the older he gets" and, once again, every single one of them was right.  You are my best friend and I love being with you!  You had a rockin birthday party in our park and the Jersey City Fire Department showed up for a little fun!



Daniel, you are an absolute dream.  You are truly a pleasure to be around (strange to say that about a 2 year old, right?).  You're hilarious.  You are so sweet.  You're talking... A LOT.  I call you Chatty Cathy. I was actually worried a few months ago that you might be "behind" in the vocab department - but there are days that you literally do not stop talking except when you're sleeping (and since you now talk in your sleep every once in a while, there are days that you literally don't stop talking).  I can finally understand almost every single thing you say - which makes me proud and happy.


You are also going to be big brother!  I know you don't really get it yet, but you like to point to my belly and say hi to the baby.  And since meeting your new baby cousin, Frankie, I think you understand babies a little bit more and you LOVE them!  Baby Frankie was 3 days old when you met her and you were smitten.  I'd post the adorable pictures of you holding her, but I can't get my iphone pictures to transfer to my computer (one reason posting has been difficult in the last 3 months has been the meltdown of our iMac).

You go to "school" every day and your teachers tell me how you've matured over the last month.  You are helpful and sweet and you use your words rather than whine.  When I pick you up at the end of the day and you hug all of your friends and say "Thank You" to your teachers, I melt.

Your love of trucks has really hit an all time high.  You LOVE trucks.  Mimi told me this would happen with boys, but I was not prepared.  Trucks rock your world (as do police cars, race cars and play dough).

A few weekends ago, you went on "rollercoaster" rides for the first time.  Your first ride was a boat ride and I cried my eyes out.  I have no idea what happened to me, but you were on this little boat all by yourself and you were so happy.  I just couldn't stop from becoming a blubbering fool.  Luckily the lady next to me said that she did the same thing!


You love TV and movies.  I know most 2 year olds do, but since you didn't watch TV for a long time, it's amazing to watch you interact with shows and find your favorites.  Right now you're still loving Sesame Street but you really love Thomas, The Wonder Pets, Little Einsteins (you call "rocketship") and Yo Gabba Gabba (you did seem to like "So You Think You Can Dance" and you managed about 20 minutes of X Factor the other night, too!).  Movie-wise: Despicable Me (also one of my favorites), Charlotte's Web and Dumbo.  OH, and a Muppets movie when we find them on TV.  You like to lay on the couch with me and cuddle.  You say "mommy laying" and pat the sofa next to you to tell me to lay down.

You are musical (I think I've said this on the blog before).  You sing songs and make up your own songs.  You're loving Adele's "21" as much as I am AND you showed some serious skills with a drumset recently.


You are currently totally in love with me!  Yes, this sounds conceited coming from the author of this blog, but it rocks my world and I know that you'll favor me or Daddy at certain points, so I'm savoring every last minute of this.  You have literally told Daddy to get off the couch so that I can lay down with you.  It's awesome...except when I'm feeling tired and my belly is big and you want me to carry you up 3 flights of stairs.  That, no so much.


You make random jokes and then say "Daniel funny!".  Or if I do something you think is funny you say "Mommy funny!"  You also say "cooz me" when you toot or burp or when you need to squeeze past someone.  Very polite!

You are no longer a baby.  I think that's the most profound change that I can try to explain.  You are a little boy who likes to run and jump and play with cars and chase your friends.  I don't need to watch you every second of the day and when you need me, I know you will tell me.


As we get ready for baby #2, I find myself clinging on to you.  I can't stand to be away from you as the days are passing so quickly and I don't want to miss anything.  I know that things will be different in a few short months and I'm scared that I won't know how to have Daniel time so I am doing everything possible to hold you and kiss you and cuddle with you and play with you without being preoccupied with anything else.  I'm actually crying as I write this because I am overwhelmed by how much I love you.  I am just so proud of you... who you are and how you are... and I hope that I never forget the feeling of singing to you before you go to sleep - of your hair on my face, you hands on my arms and your face in the crook of my neck.

1 comment: