Friday, October 5, 2012

Lucy's Story

Dear Lucy,
I promised myself that I would record your life on this blog just as much as I did for Daniel.  And here we are: exactly 8 months after you entered this world and I'm finally beginning!  So, Lucy, here is your story!

February 4th, 2012:
I like to think that I knew that I was going to go into labor today.  After a super crappy/uncomfortable pregnancy, I was so done and just knew it was going to happen.  I had only gained 13 pounds throughout my entire pregnancy because the only thing I could eat was cereal (not complaining about that - especially since I was the heaviest I've ever been when I became pregnant with you!) and I had been on a very slack bedrest for a month.  Again, I was just DONE.

To set the stage further, Daniel, Daddy and I were all living in the same bedroom all the way down on the bottom floor of our house because the renovation was still not done. I knew that I would be bringing you home into a construction zone and that your "nursery" would a bedroom shared by all of us with nothing remotely "nursery" about it.  One room, 4 people.  This was the room that we enjoyed our last nights with Daniel as an only child and the ease of the bedtime ritual while Daniel was still sleeping in the crib and not negotiating with us for 20 minutes about "sitting in the chair for 5 more minutes".  In fact, our life was like this:



February 5th (actual due date!), 2012, 2:36AM:
My water broke with a huge POP, a huge GUSH and a massive gasp of fear from my mouth!  My water breaking with such ferocity was overwhelming and I started to panic.  I ran into the shower (thanks to my dear friend whose 2nd baby came so quickly that she delivered her in the bathtub I knew that being in the shower would be the easiest place to clean!) and told Daddy to get our shit together because I was in labor!  Daddy was half asleep and started wandering around aimlessly and returned to the bathroom to tell me that he had just turned on the oven to make cookies for the nurses (something we did with Daniel).  I may have asked him if he was insane and that we did not have time.  "Call your brother!" I screamed.  Miraculously, Uncle Dave walked in the door about 2 minutes later (no exaggeration.. I still have no idea how he made it so fast!).

We got in the car with towels and headed to Lenox Hill Hospital on the WAY upper east side of Manhattan.  My contractions were about 5 minutes apart.  As we drove up 3rd Avenue it was about 3:15am and drunk people were on the streets looking for cabs.  I thought it was hilarious that they were probably trying to get laid and I was about to give birth!  We parked in the garage... which is 2 blocks from the hospital!... and I waddled to the emergency room with one or two stops for contractions along the way and a trickle of amniotic fluid following behind me on the sidewalk.

Once admitted, I immediately told the nurses that I wanted an epidural (again, something I did not want  with Daniel but you had measured big the entire pregnancy AND you were "sunny side up" on my last OB visit... things that could mean a long and painful labor).  Daddy hooked up his phone to the sound system and started playing DJ.  I had to wait a little while for the epidural and my contractions starting coming every 3 minutes... and they were fierce!  The nurse checked me and told me that I was fully effaced but only dilated 3cm.  WHAT?  Only 3cm? It felt like you were about to come out of me and I was only 3cm!  Again, bring on the epi!

Finally I was ready to get the epidural.  Daddy left the room (they made him) and the needle goes in quickly and easily.  I immediately threw up and then they laid me down and BOOM.  The drugs took affect and it was AMAZING!  Oh my G-d did I love it.  I can't believe that I didn't feel this with Daniel.  I asked the nurse and the Anesthesiologist if either of them watched "Intervention" because I thought that I had just figured out what junkies must feel the first time they use whatever drug they are hooked on.  Then I proceeded to tell them (over and over again) how wasted I was!  It was awesome.

Me in my epidural heaven!
Less than one hour later, my amazing OB checked on me and I was ready to push and that you had turned and were facing the right way.  Yes, that's right.  Less than one hour. That means that had I not had the epidural I would have probably pushed you out onto the floor while I was laboring.  Also a nice "told you so" to Daddy because I knew as soon as my water broke that we had to get our asses to the hospital because you were coming fast!  After a "practice push" ("What? Didn't I just get here!" I said) my OB had my epidural "topped off" which was good because the intense pressure was already coming through.  5 minutes later she said, "OK, let's start pushing".  I was in complete shock that it was happening so fast.  Daddy decided to switch up the tunes.  The room was super chill, everyone was calm and I was ready to find out who you were!

2 pushes and one "blow like you're blowing out birthday candles" and, at 7:35am, you entered the world.  2 pushes.  The nurse put you on my chest with your tush to my face and all I said was "are those balls or is that a vagina?"  Laughter ensued.  I repeated "no really.  are those balls or a vagina".  Nurse said, "you asked us not to tell you because you want your husband to say it."  Daddy said "I don't know either!".  Everyone laughs and they told us that you are a girl.  A NINE POUND, ONE OUNCE GIRL!


You were perfect, to say the least.  You were HUGE, as well.  9 pounds, 1oz!  2 pushes and a blow??  Unreal!  You latched on immediately and nursed perfectly.  We named you Lucy Faye.  Lucy because I've always loved the name.  Faye after your great-grandmother who was married to your great-grandfather  Bing (Daniel's middle name and the name of this blog).


Meeting your big brother for the first time!
In the same "going home" outfit as Daniel wore, as Daddy wore, as Uncle Richie wore and as Uncle Dave wore
You came into the world on time (your actual due date) and determined.  Sounds kinda like me!  You, me and Daddy finally made it to our room at the end of the hall just in time for the Superbowl to start.  The Giants won.



1 comment:

  1. I love that you wrote this to a grown up girl, curse words, drugs, and all. One day she will love it, too!

    xo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete